With all the excitement laziness of my Mother's Day weekend, I forgot to mention the movie I saw on Friday.
For years, I have been passionately outspoken about my abhorance, my loathing hatred, of Hollywood. And I still stand by that - for the most part. But a few months ago, I discovered The Lynwood Theater.
It is a one-screen theater (when was the last time you were in one of those?) in a historic building just a few minutes from my house. They serve real butter on their popcorn. There are usually only a handful of people in the whole theater and I'm almost always the youngest. And they don't show those crash-bang-shoot-em-up-raunchy-sex movies that you find in the megalopolis places. Instead, they show independent films, international film, classics.
So, it has become my favorite "me time" activity. Hey, we don't have a decent bookstore within a 1/2 hour drive, so I had to find something.
Anyways, on Friday I went to see Flawless. Demi Moore (not my favorite) and Michael Caine (not bad). It was . . . fun. It didn't make me think, didn't make me ponder life on a deeper level. Probably not worth the ticket that I paid for it, but I would definitely recommend you put it in your Netflix queue.
Here's the trailer:
2 comments:
I love your blog--from the title on down! I wish I had seen your emailed invite to this movie in time to go with you. Glad you enjoyed it.
I have a lifelong love affair with the Lynwood Theatre. My first movie there: "The Poseidon Adventure," in 1972, when I was seven years old. I've probably seen upwards of 500 movies there over the years, and even lived in the apartment just above it for almost three years in the late 90s. (Having "The English Patient" coming through my floorboards 20 times a month was a bit much, though.)
My best friend as a kid lived on Beck Road, within easy walking distance of the theatre, and we'd pool our allowances and spare change, load up on popcorn, Red Vines and Cokes, and watch "The Apple Dumpling Gang" and "Herbie The Love Bug" and similarly pleasant nonsense. New James Bond movies were always eagerly awaited. The owner and operator at the time was a growly guy named Glenn Nolta who didn't like kids, and half the fun was getting away with harmless but annoying shenanigans under his sharp, kid-hating eagle eye.
Oh, and I forgot the Lynwood Theatre as a dating petri dish. I scored my first teen feel-up during "Fast Times At Ridgemont High." Ah, memories.
There's probably a used gum wad under a seat someplace in there with my 1975 DNA on it.
Post a Comment