It's been over a year now since I got the psychotic ambitious idea of cutting sugar out of my diet. I started on Labor Day 2008. It only took me about 3 weeks of misery to shake the horrible, gnawing cravings for sugar (I was horribly, frighteningly addicted), then another 3 weeks to get to the point where I didn't even care about eating sugar at all.
I kept with it all last year. My goal was to be sugar-free for one year, just to see if I could do it. And I did it - fairly easily actually. So when my year was up, I decided to keep going. I found that not only did I not crave sugar, it didn't really even appeal to me anymore.
When I started this plan, my main concern was with how I would handle holidays. Obviously, holidays in the U.S. are a sugar-free nightmare. Christmas cookies, Thanksgiving pies, Valentines chocolates, Easter jelly beans, 4th of July ice cream . . . But I was pleased to discover that they weren't a problem; I easily turned down the treats. At most, I would sample a bite of Nathan's and be perfectly content.
So where am I going with this, and what does it have to do with My Greatest Nemesis??
You may have noticed that I left off one very obvious holiday from the above list . . . Halloween. How does a person make it through Halloween without eating sugar?
Well, guess what? I didn't even sample a single treat from my kids Trick-or-Treat bags last year. I was never even tempted by all the candy bars and gummy worms and lollipops. And so far this season, I've ignored the caramel apples and donuts and sticky-sweet caramel apple cider at Starbucks.
But these . . . oh, THESE TASTY MORSELS! I swear they must be laced with cocaine. How else do you explain why they end up in my shopping cart each time I go to Safeway? And how, no matter where I hide the little devils, I always manage to find them and eat the entire box one or two.
So, yes. Safeway's generic Halloween cookies are My Greatest Nemesis. I'll be sooooo glad when this silly holiday is over and they remove those darn things from in front of the checkout aisles.
Oh yeah, and their wicked little sidekick - candy corn. Ohhhh, baby.
5 comments:
That is too funny. I hate those cookies! Bleck! Good for you a whole year! You rock.
Don't they have those cookies in some Christmas variety? Not to spoil your sugar free diet.
After this baby, I am going to try to find a diet to help my liver out, one that is manageable and with the help of my gastroenteroligist. Hopefully, it won't cut out too much sugar, because I like my carbs, and I can do whole grains. I am tired of feeling like crap, and it will take a few months post-pregnancy to get my liver functioning normal again. Anyhow, good luck with the sugar this Halloween!
This has always been the one thing about you that I just can't relate to. I think you are amazing and made of steel to resist sugar the way you do (especially with a sugar addicted, diet crushing friend like me). I am glad to hear that you are human and every once in a while give into the better things in life:)
Now let me tell you about these fabulous little dark chocolate nuggets of goodness I recently found... :)
Really? Those cookies are your biggest weakness? Even more than Mora? I'm learning so much about you!
You are pure awesome, Brooke. Those cookies? Really? Since they're a finite resource, you've actually got a pretty smart idiosyncrasy there.
Post a Comment