Last night, Nathan & I went out to dinner with some friends. It was sort of a Happy-Anniversary (our 15th)/Business dinner. A two-fer. Since the business was footing the bill, we decided to go to a restaurant that we've always wanted to try, but never had the budget for:
Canlis. Holy smokes, it was fabulous! The setting (overlooking Lake Union), the ambiance (white tableclothes, servers in fancy black clothes), the Dress Code for diners (I'm so thankful that a friend lent me some nice maternity slacks or else they may not have let me in). And then there was the food . . .

When we arrived, we discovered that one of Nathan's patients was working as hostess. She was so sweet and kept spoiling us with complimentary samplers. While we were waiting for our main course, she sent us these Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese plates. It was a chilled tomato gazpacho, and a little piece of grilled mozzarella with a sprig of mint, sandwiched between two homemade croutons.
So not like what I usually serve my kids on Sunday evenings!

Here's my appetizer - the most delicious Smoked Salmon ever created.

Nathan's patient also sent this to-die-for plate of prawns. I've never had prawns cooked so perfectly. And that sauce was
the best for dipping bread in.
Next came our entrees. I, um, didn't get a picture of any of them because they looked SO tasty that we immediately dove in and gobbled them all up. I had Agnolotti, a homemade pasta with a sauce so incredible I had to force myself not to lick the plate. Our friends had the 21-day aged New York steaks, cooked to perfection. And Nathan decided to finally have a go at a Kobe steak. Tender. Juicy. Delicious.

Then there were the desserts. I thought I'd go traditional and ordered the apple pie. This was NOT your grandma's apple pie! A flakey crust on bottem, with a perfectly sweetened apple middle, and a creme fraiche topping. Those stick things are cinnamon-flavored sticks of sugar. And who can possibly write with such perfect handwriting using chocolate!? Yep, I licked that up too. :-)

Nathan had the Grand Marnier Souffle.
(If you've ever dined with Nathan, you know he always goes for the alcohol-based dishes, assuming the alcohol has been cooked out. It's his version of being rebelious.) :-) He was slightly disappointed, though, because he thought the souffle would be chocolate, but it was still delish!

Our friends both got the Chocoloate Covered Chocolate - molten chocolate cake, cocoa nib shortbread and chocolate-covered salted caramel ice cream. Not a speck remained on any plate at the end of the evening.

As we were waiting for the bill to arrive, Nathan's sweet patient sent us one last treat. How stinkin' cute are these fluffy little tarts!? And let me tell you, they tasted even better than they look.

After dinner, we asked our server to take a group picture of us. He took us upstairs to the Penthouse, a plush private room overlooking Seattle & Lake Union. He also told us the story of Peter Canlis, the original owner who opened the restaurant in the 1950s, and showed us the table where only he was allowed to dine. Actually, there was one other person who was allowed to use that special table: John Wayne. So Dad, next time you're in town you may have to dine at Canlis and sit at the Duke's table.
Thanks, Nathan, for giving us such a wonderful, delicious, memorable evening!!
3 comments:
The food looks great and you look even better!! Show me a side shot please...
Happy 15 years! Do you have any more fantastic plans? You guys always to anniversaries right.
Happy Anniversary! I didn't realize it was Tuesday. What an incredible meal!
Post a Comment