Thursday, February 7, 2013

Dormant Ocean, revisited

I have a confession.  It has, perhaps, been noticed that I have been rather inattentive to this blog of late.  This isn't usually a notable situation; I've had occasional moments when I simply needed a brief hiatus from the demands of documenting my life, thoughts and observations on the world wide web.  However, I am coming forward to confess that there is a deeper underlying problem at work here.

I have a social media mistress.  (No, Michelle, not Facebook.)

About a year ago, I met Instagram.  And what started out as an innocent dabble with a new app has sort of turned into a full-blown love affair with this hot, little photo sharing phenomenon.  I am ashamed to admit that I now check Instagram every morning before I check my favorite blogs.  I hang my head in shame.

Because, well, here's the rub.  Instagram, I suspect, may not last.  It's cute and fun and all, but before long a newer, cuter, funner app will be here, and Instagram will go the way of Silly Bandz and Ralph Macchio.

So I am recommitting myself to my beloved Dormant Ocean.  (cue sappy music ...)  THIS is my creation.  THIS is my history.  THIS is my true social media love.

Since I hope to print out this blog someday into a book, I feel guilty that I have left out so many fun moments this past year because I posted them on Instagram instead.  So I'm also using this post to re-cap most of the images I have missed here.  Those of you who follow me on Instagram have already seen these.  If you don't follow me on Instagram, please do!  (Brooke8500 - If it isn't obvious from your user name who you are, please leave me a comment or send me an email, otherwise I may block you.)  And if, horror of horrors, you don't have a smart phone (Jenny) and can't use Instagram, never fear!  As part of my re-commitment to this blog, I will be posting my Instagram pictures here as well.  WooHoo!  (But seriously, go get yourself an iPhone so that I can text funny emoticons to you.)

If you're not familiar with how Instagram works, I basically post a picture, with the option of leaving a short note or description about it.  Then those how follow me view the pictures and can either "Like" the picture, or post a comment of their own.  These comments are often accompanied by clever (or not, as the case may be) emoticons and hashtags.  Hashtags are a #, followed by a string of words, no spaces.  I'm just going to post my pictures and original comments here; if you really want a laugh, you need to follow me on Instagram & read some of the funny follow-up comments that I've received.  

These are in chronological order, starting in Jan. 2012
Rain on Snow
Jared learning to pump gas
Torah's owie on her forehead
Dimpled baby hands
Micah bored, waiting for a fireside
Swimming for Spring Break!
Eating goldfish by the pool
My bathroom.  Sigh.
Adana's "pet" ant
Bainbridge takes State!!
Ohhhh, those dark eyes!
Don't smile!
There's a giant chicken butt outside my hotel window.

It's a sunroof sorta day.
First game of the fall season.  FOUR per weekend for the next 2 months.
Do not bother me. :(
The crayon is mightier than the sword!
Love fall!  Pumpkin pie for breakfast.
First date.
Homecoming 2012

I just searched the house looking for Torah.
She apparently put herself to bed.
Sweet girl.  :)

LOVE Seattle Children's Theater!
I love it when Micah gets the urge to cook dinner.
Sisters reading scriptures.
The Birthday Fairy strikes again!  #Torah #2yearsold
Happy Birthday to my sweet 2-year old!
Birthday girl at preschool.
First Princess dress-up experience.  She loved it!
I love watching soccer.
5 minutes in.  Dripping wet.

Training her young:  Taco Time is the best fast food!
Drying leaves for preschool.
Fever.
It doesn't matter how well I hide the Halloween candy bowl, I KEEP FINDING the dang thing!
Fever, day 3.
I hate it when only one side of my pencil will sharpen!  #petpeeves #iambored
Good morning sunshine!
#babymorningbreathsmellsgood #lovethathair
When Adana loads the dishwasher.  #rainbows
Trying to watch Jared's game (he's the blue speck guarding the goal for a corner kick).
#soccerinseattle #sittinginmycar
Prep for preschool tomorrow.  12 more pairs of turkey legs to glue on.
Poor 5th child has to take her nap in the car.
Hiding behind a chair, sucking down a tube of toothpaste.
Hello old friends.  I've missed you.
A rainy Saturday night.
What our pond is supposed to look like vs. how it looks today.
Family Game Night = Quelf
#Trippy #InsideJoke
Does anyone else eat the last (five) cookies in the jar with the undeniable logic that once they're gone, you won't be tempted to eat them anymore?
3rd annual Turkey Trot!  (Micah ran too, but he was at the front of the pack).
Thanksgiving dinner, part 2.  Novilhos Brazilian!
Even when she's sleeping, she insists on showing her fancy shoes.
Geesh, didn't I JUST get this crap put away from last year?
"Don't worry, Micah.  I'll hold your feet."
A Torah sandwich!
#TheseBoysAdoreHer #WrappedAroundHerFinger
Chillin' in the bathroom, reading an encyclopedia.
#gottalovehomeschool
Justin Bieber duck tape?!?
#10bucksaroll! #whobuysthiscrap?
FA-LA-LA-LA-LA, LA-LA, LA, LAAAAA!!!
Pizza/movie/popcorn/hot cocoa night
#namethatmovie
Seriously contemplating this for breakfast.
#iwilleathealthytomorrow
Pouty little princess.
Hansel & Gretel opera tonight.
#cravinggingerbread
Adana & King Tut's mummy.  It's a fake, same as her smile.
She was actually PO'd that the mummy wasn't real, but I made her smile for the picture.
#ripoff #havetogotoEgyptnow
Puddle stompin'
#purejoy #wannabeakidagain
A drive thru Bethlehem.  One of my favorite Christmas experiences.
Hyvaa Itsenaisyyspaiva!!
#HappyFinnishIndependenceDay
Master of the fine art of pouting.
#alwaysgetsherway
Click "Like" if you've ever eaten McDs in the Ace parking lot.
#lifeontheroc
Sent 12 times.
Pacific Science Center
Swimming on top of the world
#Sheraton #35thfloor
Gingerbread houses at the Sheraton
#familytradition
Happy Birthday Adana!
#baklavanotcake #coolest7yearoldever
FUDGE!!!!!!
First ever band concert.  Emma rocked the house!
Diaper bag for a day in Seattle.
#fudge #magicbars #smartfood #cokezero #candycanes #forgotdiapers
Watching A Christmas Story.
#Christmas Eve #tradition
This girl cracks me up!  Here's how I found her, chillin' in the kitchen.
Runny noses suck.
Total Bainbridge girl!
#ferryhat #BayHaysweatshirt #freezingatasoccergame
Adana has discovered email.  I get a dozen of these a day.
#fullofemoticons #ikeepeverysingleone
All set for Primary 2013
#IAmAChildOfGod #ilovePrimary
If I have to spend ONE MORE BLASTED MINUTE cleaning this stupid house, I'm going to explode!
#wantamaid #wanttoburnitdownandstartover
Apparently things really ARE bigger in Texas!
#totallyreal #shessovogue
Filling out his 1st official job application.
#suchagreatkid #stopgrowingupsofast
Evening nap
Mmmmmm ... Treehouse pizza!
A quiet evening stroll.  I LOVE walking.  Wish I could turn it into a job (that doesn't require picking up dog poop).
#whowillpaymetowalk #ortoeat #imreallygreatatboth
Thank you Pinterest!  Last minute dinner idea was easy, cheap, healthy & YUM!
How did our moms plan meals before the Internet?
#ohyeah #HamburgerHelper
Typical Friday night:  eat pizza, bath time "fun," countdown till bedtime.
#patheticallyoldanddull #2yearoldhasmorefun
Emma ran her first 5K today.  So proud of her!!  She did it in 38:17.
#newrunningbuddy #nothingbetterthanagoodrun
Oops.
#ItsAlive! #guesswhosebrilliantideathiswas #hint #Nathancooksonweekends
This baby girl LOVES her  big brother!
He pretty much adores her too.
#abi #wrappedaroundherfinger
WHAT could possible compel a mom to wake her sweet babe from such a deep sleep???
#Costco #dangblastedlongdrivetoSilverHell
Got "Heart Attacked" tonight by our sweet church girls!
Made me so happy!!
Playing "Baby Monster" last night.  Sheer terrifying delight!
#wheresBaba #dontlookinthecloset #AHHHHHHH
Baba said, "No! Not tonight" the first 78 times they begged him to go in the hot tub.
#suchasofty #thesegirlsknowit
Finals are over!!!
#muchneededdowntime
Have I mentioned that this girl can pout?
I told her to pick up the truck that she threw in the bathroom.
#yepsheisstickinghertongueatme
Parenting 101:  Teach your kids that it is BAD FORM to TP in the rain!
#solame
One down, 80Gajillion more of these dumb Teflon-coated circles to go.
#sorefingers #sogladgirlsdontdomeritbadges #cuzgirlsaretoosmartforthiscrap
Pajama Day at preschool!
#cutefriends #lovemyjob
Like father, like son.
#bothsupposedtobestudying
Spoiled little girl.  Doting big brother.
#bravebrother #sheiswearingpanties #notpottytrained
Play date with two potty training girls.  Obsessed with bodily functions & potty talk.
#worsethandeacons #myglamorouslife
Baby's got mad skilz!
#playsappswithherfeet
Spelunking in the shower.
Cowboy Day tomorrow.
#Levisareinthewash

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Yay! You're back! I've missed a lot, not being on Instagram. Someday I'll have a phone that's not dumb, but by then you'll have moved on to something else. I'm glad you're back on your blog, though. I'm trying to keep mine going, but it seems like there's not as many picture-worthy events when the kids get older. Sigh.

Jessica said...

Hey, I totally knew I was being left out of your life. Get on the Blog! You know my hubs and I are kinda backwards and behind the times. I have absolutely no idea about that instagram stuff, so this post was kind of a tutorial for me. So now I'm "with it." Thanks for coming back.

Oh, use a sewing maching for the dumb scout patches! #whocaresiftheyaresewninacircle #myfingersareworthsomuchnmore
#imstartingtofigurethisout
#maybeamonsteriscreated

Loves.

Williams Family Dirt said...

Crazy!! I missed alot of your earlier Instagrams. Another great thing. Have you found the Postagram app? You can for $1.00 send your Instagram photos vias postcard it includes the stamp and everything. Totally awesome app! I have been ignoring my blog too. Most of my photos on it are from my phone and Instagram these days. But they all tell our story, dont' they? I have my 2007 blog book made it is from Blurb. Just need to order the stinking thing and start my 2008 book. At least it is always online right?

Arlyn said...

Instagram has done to your blog what Facebook has done to mine! But I haven't felt bad enough to do anything about it. I can choose who sees which post and I get more feedback back, faster. Plus I get news and keep up with friends' problems in real time instead of hearing about it when it's too late. There are several things about FB that I don't like, but it really has been nice. I have been thinking of taking some of my FB posts and sharing them on my blog. But I think there are only 5 or 6 people missing out and I can't decide if it's worth my time!