Sunday, February 16, 2014

I'll drive!

One evening this week, I found myself driving home after dropping Emma off at an activity.  And the thought occurred to me this was the FIRST time that entire day that I had sat down.  That thought was quickly followed by the realization that, as far as busy days go, this had been a rather mellow one.  There were no extra appointments, nothing out of the ordinary.  It was just a completely average Wednesday.  

I have always loved to drive.  I love the feeling of going fast.  I love the quiet sanctuary of a car (I very rarely turn the radio on).  And I love the guilt-free opportunity that driving gives me to just "sit."  This is why I love to drive - it is often the most relaxing thing I do all day.

Wednesday, February 12
7:00 am - Get Adana up, ready for school & out to her bus stop by 7:45am.  Rush back in to get myself & Torah ready for our day.
8:45 am - JJ arrives (a 3-year old boy that I babysit).  Finish getting everything ready for the day.  Herd two 3-year olds into coats & boots and into their car seats.
9:00 am - Arrive at preschool.  Get set up for the day.
9:30 am - Teach preschool.  It was our class Valentine's Day party.  
12:00 pm - Preschool over.  Take Torah & JJ home for lunch/play.  Start prepping dinner.
1:30 pm - JJ gets picked up.  Put Torah down for a nap and help Emma with her homeschool work.
2:30 pm - Adana home from school.  Help her get going on her chores & homework.
3:30 pm - Get the girls to their piano lesson.  Hurry home to work some more on dinner & fold a pile of laundry.  Boys (& a friend) home from school.  Feed them.
4:30 pm - Girls home from piano.  Finish up with dinner.  
5:30 pm - Take dinner to a friend.  We swap each week - she gives Emma flute lessons on Tuesdays, and I bring her family dinner on Wednesdays.
6:00 pm - Rush home to feed my family & get everyone ready for Wednesday night activities (Nathan & the boys have Scouts; Emma & Adana have their Faith in God activities).
6:30 pm - Drive Emma to her activity.  Cherish the quiet, soothing drive home.

I don't post this so that, years from now, I can marvel at how busy I was when there were 5 kids at home.  Rather, I post it as a personal chastisement, a reminder that even on the busiest of days, I need to look for moments during the day to just sit down.  I shouldn't wait until I have to drive somewhere to rest my poor legs.  Sometimes, I just need to sit.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

1) Your posts are getting later at night! ;)
2) You have always loved driving...I can vouch for that.
3) Somedays as I reflect on the previous 24 hours I am amazed at all that takes place.