Saturday, May 3, 2014

The Lunchbox

I've never been much of a movie watcher; I rarely like anything that comes out of Hollywood.  Those blow-em-up movies drive me INSANE because all I can think the whole time is "someone's gonna have to clean up that mess, and it's gonna be freakin' expensive!"  And a Hollywood romance - Ugh!  I despise a movie where the man & woman treat each other like crap for 1 1/2 hours, then realize at the end that they've loved each other all along.  Puh-lease!  Give them a few years of mortgage payments, dirty diapers & road trips to visit the in-laws and I bet they'll be right back to their old nasty habits.  Just sayin'.



But I'm always so excited when our local artsy-fartsy movie theater brings in a new, quirky, foreign film that is actually NOT rated R.  Tonight, I got to see The Lunchbox.  It is an Indian film (yes, subtitles) about a depressed widower and an unhappy young wife who strike up an unexpected friendship by sending messages back & forth in a lunchbox.  

It was poignant.  Tender.  Painful.  Affirming.  I came to know & care about the characters.  And I got to see a glimpse into the middle-class life a India.  All great reasons to see this movie.

Warning, though.  This might not be the best movie to see if:
1) you are about to say good-bye to a loved one soon (i.e. your child is about to leave for college).  It sort of makes you re-examine your relationships, and wish that you could go back & re-do some things.

or if:
2) you are on a 2-week cleanse that doesn't allow you to eat anything yummy.  The Indian food in this movie looks so luscious!  I'm dying for some curry paneer right now!

Otherwise, I totally recommend it!  Great movie.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Great minds think alike...I am on a 21 day cleanse....sigh...keep me posted.

Jessica said...

Cleanse? What could possibly take 2 weeks to get out of your system? Doubt that the show will ever get over here or to the new location. boo.