Yesterday, the boys & I went to see Hamlet at the Seattle Children's Theater. We read it last year, when we were studying Shakespeare, so we were really excited to see the play. I wish we had more opportunities to see well-done Shakespeare plays, because the boys LOVE them! What boy doesn't get into sword fighting, intrigue, royal deception and murderous plots? This one was performed (thankfully!) using Shakespeare's original language. I actually read some on-line reviews criticizing this. They felt that the language was "too advanced" for a play that was geared toward a young audience. (Grrr . . . I'll save this for my "How We Are Dumbing Down American Kids" post).Wednesday, February 20, 2008
To Be or Not To Be
Yesterday, the boys & I went to see Hamlet at the Seattle Children's Theater. We read it last year, when we were studying Shakespeare, so we were really excited to see the play. I wish we had more opportunities to see well-done Shakespeare plays, because the boys LOVE them! What boy doesn't get into sword fighting, intrigue, royal deception and murderous plots? This one was performed (thankfully!) using Shakespeare's original language. I actually read some on-line reviews criticizing this. They felt that the language was "too advanced" for a play that was geared toward a young audience. (Grrr . . . I'll save this for my "How We Are Dumbing Down American Kids" post).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love the bibs!! What an awesome way to spend the day!!
I think going to the NJ Shakespeare Theatre is one of our favorite activities. They offer student matinees of most performances for $16/ticket - a great deal! Do the boys catch every nuance of the language? -- No, but they understand most of it, and they have a blast.
Ugh. We'd best not let me get started on the "dumbing down" topic, either. :-P
I totally agree, nothing beats a sunny day in Seattle. As you know, my boys are now intrigued enough to ask when we will be visiting! (Consider yourself warned....)
This sounds weird, but I was struck by how much taller Jared is than Micah. Around here, my younger one is taller than his brother, by more than an inch!
Post a Comment