Monday, December 8, 2008

Divine Inspiration, OCD or Paranoid Mom

I get my OCD tendencies from my dad. I'm constantly tidying. I can't stand to have pictures hanging crooked on the wall. I love lists, straight lines, closed cupboard doors, a well-made bed, and an organized refrigerator. I've even been known to alphabetize my spice rack (until Nathan decides to cook and messes the whole thing up. Grrr...)

So this morning, while I was passing through the laundry room, I paused to make sure that all the spouts on my spray cleaning bottles were twisted to "OFF." Even as I was doing it, I was mentally mocking myself for being soooo Type A. I mean, the bottles are up on a shelf, inside a cleaning basket, and totally out of reach of little hands.

Still, I'm OCD enough to know that I have to follow through when I get these urges, or else the thought of spouts in the "ON" position would torment me the rest of the day.

A few hours later, I was working in the kitchen when I had that horrible, nagging feeling . . . the house was too quiet. WHERE was Adana? And WHAT was she doing?

I finally found her in the laundry room. She was holding a bottle of Clorox bleach, desperately trying to spray it ALL OVER MY LAUNDRY. But not a drop got out, because the spout was turned to "OFF!"

Disaster averted. Thank the Lord (And my Dad's genes. And 2+ years of experience living with this pint-sized tornado.)

5 comments:

Tara said...

Holy cow! I've got ODC just like you!!! I can't tell you how many nightmares I've had of Tyler getting a hold of my Clorox bottles and spraying them into his mouth. He loves to do this with the water bottle we have for hair. He'll sit still and suck on the tip of it while I cut his hair. I'm always afraid he'll do THAT with the Clorox! I can't believe you would have had bleach spotted clothes! How funny!

Amie said...

I need some of those tendencies myself around here--an OCD urge to check all pockets for crayons before doing laundry would actually save a lot of time and money. And if I could just have the compulsion to make beds. . . :)

Jenny said...

I'm getting to know you so much better through your blog! Your OCD sure saved you this time! I can see ways almost all of the tendencies you mentioned could save you something, actually... lists save time and money, closed cupboard doors save you from bumping your head, an organized refrigerator saves you from wasting food and from things falling out on you when you open the door (happens here all the time!), alphabetized spice rack saves time...

Kristi said...

Oh yes...I know about the whole OCD thing. I use to not be able to sleep until I checked all the stove knobs to make sure they were off. I did this from a very young age. it would nag at me ALL night until I got up to check it. I still have wierd tendencies. That's what makes me so special.

Williams Family Dirt said...

I would say that was divine inspiration!