Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Portland

We took a quick get-away to Portland this weekend.

Highlights:

* staying at the Embassy Suites - located in an historic downtown building. It was pretty posh. Adana walked into the front lobby and declared, "It's a castle and I'm a princess!"
* getting a military discount on our room!

* the indoor heated pool. Who cares if it's 40 degrees outside!?

* the hotel "Game Cellar" - complete with pool table, air hockey, pinball, and video games. Happy times for pre-teen boys!

* the complimentary breakfast every morning - a full buffet of hashbrowns, bacon, sausage, eggs, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, cereals, pastries . . . plus a custom-order omlet chef. We told our kids "EAT UP" so we could skip lunch.

* the Manager's Reception each evening - free, all-you-can-eat/drink soda, pretzels & goldfish crackers. I'm telling you, this place takes "Kid Friendly" to a whole new level.

* riding the TriMet train from our hotel to the Children's Museum

* the Children's Museum - Adana wasn't much into the Bob the Builder exhibit, but she loved the water play area
and the Crocodile Dentist (although she quickly got bored of brushing his teeth and instead preferred to stick her head inside his mouth and scream as if she were being eaten. Funny, but even though the place was majorly crowded, none of the other kids seemed to want to play on the giant crocodile after Adana was through.)


* eating out in the hotel's great restaurant - Kincaid's. We left the kids back in the room with Jared and enjoyed an adult evening with our friends who had come too.

* VooDoo Donuts. This is not your regular donut shop. This place was right across the street from our hotel and it's open 24 hours. We never saw it without a line out the door and down the sidewalk. So after our no-kids dinner, we thought we'd stop by for some dessert.* Boy Howdy! Talk about sugar rush! I decided to splurge and eat a donut - then spent the rest of the night with a major sugar headache. But it was so worth it. Here's a sampling of what we got (there were more, but we ate most of them before I thought to snap a picture).

Here's a cream-filled maple head, a "Grape Ape" (vanilla frosting with grape powder), an "Orangatang" (vanilla frosting with Tang), and "Dirt" (covered in crushed Oreos).

They were so outrageous that we had to stop and get more before we left town on Monday. Here's Emma with her Captain Crunch donut:

And their famous "Maple Bacon Bar" (we thought about you, Sloan, they whole time we ate it). :-)

* If you do decide to stop by VooDoo Donuts on your next trip to Portland, I recommend not bringing your kids in. Take a peek around their website and you'll probably figure out why.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I think I should go to Portland just for the donuts. Actually only a Russell would buy a maple, bacon bar...the stranger the better for you guys. Great trip.

Unknown said...

Love Portland! And I love Embassy Suites. We lived in the brand new San Juan ES for 81 glorious days when we first moved to Puerto Rico. Yes, LIVED there!!

When we travel, like to Disneyland, we stay at ES because of that amazing breakfast. If your alternative is feeding your kids on $27 cheeseburgers INSIDE the park, all of a sudden the extra cost of a night at ES isn't such a shock!

Been to the Pacific Science Center at the Seattle Center yet? We had annual passes; that place saved my sanity during those rainy Seattle winters.

Jenny said...

Sounds like you had a blast! Maybe we can join you guys next time.

VooDoo must be better than Sluys to make you cave! Are you back on the wagon?

Erika said...

Funny you mentioned Voodoo donuts. We are headed to Portland in March and were told we had to get a bacon maple bar, its the only way I am going to get Alvin to sit through Wicked. What part of town is it in?

Curmudgeoness said...

Oof -- the sight of the maple bacon bar is making me queasy.
:-P

It sounds like a fun weekend, though. I am ready for a weekend getaway; I am feeling thoroughly New Jerseyed, and I need a break!

Perkes Family said...

Thanks for letting us know you were in town ;) I am glad you guys had a good time, the OMSI is even better then the childrens mus.
I am totally going to check out that hotel.

Alisa said...

i love the embassy suites

finally, i'm getting my rear in gear to post a comment on your blog and all I can say is that I love the embassy suites...

i'm sure i would love the donuts too!

Kyla said...

What a fun trip! checked out voo doo web site...ya not taking my kids there! But the doughnuts look yummy! you guys going to bakersfield in may??

Williams Family Dirt said...

Yummo! Those donuts look awesome! Sound like a great trip, glad you could get away from the rain and cold for a few days.

Kristi said...

Um...yeah...not sure how I feel about you being DOWN THE ROAD from us and NOT calling to join in all the fun. I'm going to have to ponder that one while I visit this donut shop.