I know that I tend to live in a bubble, since I rarely watch/listen to/read the news. But I just happened to hear that Paul Harvey's funeral was today. I didn't even know he had died. It came as quite a shock.I grew up in a Paul Harvey-lovin' home. If you had asked me as a child to name the Holy Trinity, I probably would have said, "Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and Paul Harvey." My father's religion was simple - be honest in your dealings, generous with those in need, and obedient to the counsel of Paul Harvey.
It is thanks to Paul Harvey that I own a Bose Wave radio, and a Select Comfort bed. If Paul Harvey advertised it, then it must be quality. And if I ever develop macular degeneration, I know where to turn.
Every time my father told a story, he would always end it with "And now you know . . . the rest of the story."
I always knew not to call my dad at noon, because that was when Paul Harvey was on the radio and he never missed his broadcast. But I used to make sure to call him soon after, because he always had something interesting to share.
Paul Harvey was the only news program I've ever enjoyed listening to. He was unabashedly moral, and often included his low opinion of criminals and dishonest politicians.
Even more important, his was pretty much the only news program that reported on positive, uplifting events, no matter how small and seemingly insignificant. You could walk away from his program feeling happier and encouraged about the world we live in. I loved it when he did his Tournament of Roses - where he would list the names of couples that had been married 50 years or more. What other news program takes the time for something like that!? I loved him for it.
The more I write, the more memories come flooding back.
"Hello Americans. This is Paul Harvey. Stand by for news!"
"And now, page two."
I'm pretty sure there is a special place prepared in heaven for Paul Harvey. He will be sadly missed on earth.
2 comments:
He started in broadcasting at (I think) age 14. Someone once told him "You better tell the truth because you sound like God." I'll miss him too.
I started listening to talk radio during my long commutes to work. I loved his voice and humor! He will be missed!
Post a Comment