Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Shreddin' the Powder

On Monday (MLK Day), I took the kids to Snoqualmie Pass. It was a BEAUTIFUL day - sunny and warm (mid-30's).



Move over Shaun White!

While the boys were in their lesson, the girls entertained themselves in the snow. They especially liked "sledding" down the hills by the chair lifts.


And snacking on snow.


They also built a cute little snowhead. The snow was sort of crappy, so they couldn't make an entire snowman. Adana had even planned ahead and packed a little baggie of carrots & raisins for the project.

After a few hours of snow play, we were thankful for these great fires to warm our hands.

We all had a fun day. The boys' lesson was great - only them and one other guy in it. They are learning to snowboard quickly. We only had one slight mishap:


Jared took a pretty hard fall just before his lesson. He was messing around on his board and fell backwards, catching himself on his hands and whacking his head. But there wasn't any blood, so I told him to shake it off and go to his lesson. (I know - Mothere of the Year. But hey, those lessons aren't cheap!) He had a good time and finished out the day.

On the way home, he complained about having a headache and that his wrist was hurting. The wrist was still hurting on Tuesday, so I took him to see his doctor. As we were telling him what happened, the doctor FLIPPED OUT about him hitting his head - said we should have had a CT scan and that he probably had a (thankfully minor) concussion. Oops. He also has a pretty badly sprained wrist.

We'll be buying some helmets this week.

8 comments:

Arlyn said...

Be thankful you didn't end up with a CT scan. Those fellas aren't cheap. There are so many doctors bills I could have avoided if I'd just waited a little. But the worrier in my didn't want to take a chance. It's the poor person in me that gets mad at the worrier when it's all done. Having to make those decisions (especially when it comes to our kids) is so hard!

Glad he's OK.

Kyla said...

your right, tough it up!! Haha, thats what i would have told my girls! glad he is ok! Helmets might be a good investment.. :)

Mariann Zaugg Wise said...

That IS a good mother of the year nomination. I'm still going to be giving you some tough competition. I was hoping you were going to post something about Madonna on here.

Mariann Zaugg Wise said...

Yeeehah, my comment worked. I finally figured out how to do it. Ouch, I just hurt my arm patting myself on the back!

Jessica said...

Didn't I ever tell you about my first time snowboarding? Ended with a really sore backside and a pink cast. That is why I hate the cold now. The only reason. :)

Michelle said...

Oh, thank you for boosting my ego today. I'm always glad when someone else can carry the "mother of the year" award.
So, I was thinking of starting the boys skiing next year --they would be 10 and 9. What do you think? I certainly don't think I could ski....which led me to think of getting myself some lessons...which, I don't want to break a leg because then I couldn't run...which, well, you know...that would be awful! When are you going to start the girls?

Michelle said...

ps--how far is Bainbridge from Seattle? from Whidbey? (Yes, I am geographically challenged!)

Kristi said...

The joys of living in the Northwest...crappy snow! It is rare to have snow that you can actually make a decent snowman with. Thank heavens we had that recent snow storm and we could build an actual snowman. It melted the next day, but hey...we had a day!