I was so wrapped up with my Pillsbury pet peeve yesterday that I completely forgot to post in honor of Grammar Day. For shame.
This year, I would like to celebrate this special day by documenting a couple of my favorite Adana grammar quirks. I know that she will soon outgrow them, so I want to record them for future chuckles. Adana seems to have some issues with verb tenses, as all of these examples show.
#1 - sawn, as in "Have you sawn this show before?"
#2 - werse (pron. werz), as in "I didn't know where you werse!"
#3 - gived, as in "Emma gived me a cookie."
This way of talking is truly ingrained in her brain. The other day, she was practicing her reading. The sentence she was supposed to read was "The man gave a coat to the goat." (Don't get me started on the stupid things they have beginning readers read!) But every time she read that sentence, she said, "The man gived a coat to the goat." When I corrected her and told her the word was "gave," she looked at me like I was daft and said, "That's what I said!"
I hope you all had a very happy Grammar Day!
3 comments:
LOVE it! Myron FOREVER and still to this day....has many "Myronisms". For instance.....water was "watet" and all of the boys described their pee pee (sorry can't say the actual word) as their "witness". Who knows where they come up with these things, but I think their vocabulary definitely trumps ours in many circumstances.
PS- Please give my little Torah loves from me. I showed the Olivers photos of her today and really was missing her. Don't let her forget me! I will be home soon enough! xo
I think I'm related to Adana! Either that or I'm secretly from Arkansas!
The other day the family was in the Costco parking lot in South Seattle. There were no parking spots to be had, so Brad hopped out and asked me to find a spot. As soon as he left, I quickly found one, and when he got back to the car, he asked if it was hard to find the spot. I said, "Nope, I just droved up and there it was!"
Post a Comment