Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Can You Hear Me Now?

I sometimes have really stupid reasons for buying things. I choose my breakfast cereal based on how readable the box is (you know - so I have something to read while I'm eating breakfast). I will often choose a book at the library because it hasn't been checked out very often (as shown by the date stamps on the check-out card) and I sort of feel sorry for it.


Well, I currently have a strong desire to buy a Verizon phone because I just love their commercial where the "Can You Hear Me Now?" guy pretends that he's pregnant and in labor so that they can see if a phone call can be heard while driving through a freeway tunnel.


Have you seen that one? I don't know - call me a sucker for marketing. But great commercial!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm almost going to slow down my TIVO for a commercial because of this post!

Anonymous said...

The ad is very misleading. While it suggests that the Verizon wireless signal can be picked up in a tunnel, it falls short of actually saying that it can. As the car enters the tunnel, it shows the pregnant woman talking into the phone AT her husband, but then she immediately has to talk to her mom ("He knows how to get there, Mom!"), and then she starts with the quick breathing. The commercial never verifies that the connection wasn't lost. For all we know, she could have been talking to dead air. The bottom line is: If you look at the commercial closely, IT NEVER ACTUALLY CLAIMS THAT THE SIGNAL CAN BE HEARD IN A TUNNEL! It simply lets the viewer jump to that conclusion.