Friday, January 18, 2008

Email address junkie?

I'm starting to think that I have too many email addresses.

1. There is my original email - the very first one that I ever set up, too many years ago to remember when.

2. There is my gmail address (my favorite - I love gmail). This is the one that I check most frequently and usually have up on my desktop.

3.-5.Then I have about 3 "junk" email addresses. These are the ones that I use when I register for things online, just in case they sell my information and I end up with tons of spam. I virtually never check them.

6. I also have my Yahoo address, so that I can participate in Yahoo Groups. This one is kind of misleading these days. I signed up for it in 1999, when Elizabeth Dole was considering a run for the presidency. So I registered womanforpresident@yahoo.com. These days, however, I am most definitely NOT hopeful that we will have a woman for president in 2008. Still, I'd love to see a woman in the White House (just please, God, not another Clinton!), so I keep the email address.

7. And I have a pseudonym email, which I use when I don't want anyone to know it's me (particulary helpful when you live on a small island).

8. - ??. I also have countless (I really have no idea how many) emails that I have created over the years just for fun. Sometimes I like to try out different "login names," just to see if they are available. Usually they aren't, but if they are then I've often gone ahead and signed up for the email account. The problem is that I've since forgotten them. So there are probably people out there who would really like these email addresses, but they can't have them because I'm holding them hostage.

Is this normal? Do people accrue email addresses like shoes? Do you check all of your email addresses frequently? And if you know that you have unused email addresses lingering out there in cyberspace, is there a way to identify them?

Just curious. In the meantime, I'm going to go see if ILoveKeenShoes@gmail.com is available. Or maybe HotChocolateandCheese@yahoo (in honor of my current computer-side snack). How 'bout IHatePickingUpSocks@gmail.com.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Sounds like my husband. Although somehow he has them all filter to his gmail account. Maybe you should invest in domains, too. Sounds like you have some creative ideas.

Williams Family Dirt said...

I have my hotmail, yahoo (because I joined the FlyLady group), and my main one my gmail. Although it still gets a lot of junk because it is the one I use most of the time. I never check my hotmail or yahoo. I probably should I might have given it to someone important, and forgot about it!