Most of you know that I am NOT a night person, not by a long shot. My idea of staying up late is watching the 10pm rerun of Seinfeld, and I'm usually falling asleep before it's over. So, this is a long explanation for why most of my blog posts will not be very timely. I will rarely stay up late at night, just to post about something that happened during the day. I'm too tired; I'll post about it when I get around to it (i.e. when Adana is napping and the kids are done with their schoolwork). I will, however, put off cleaning the house or making dinner in order to post to my blog. C'mon, I have my priorities.
So . . . here are a few things that have recently occured in the Russell household:
Sunday evening, Jared participated with the Bainbridge Island Youth Orchestra in a recital at the library. They did a great job! I wasn't able to get a very good picture, and I think that I chose a poor spot in the music to try recording them. But hey, I usually forget to even bring the camera to these sorts of things, so I'm just pleased that I've actually got something to post here.
Monday was St. Patrick's Day. I made the kids Green Eggs & Ham for breakfast (well, turkey bacon. Close enough, right?).
Thanks, Sloan, for the great idea. Since they celebrate everything a day ahead of us in Japan, I get to copy all of her great suggestions. The big debate around our house was proper St. Patrick's Day protocol. In other words, what legally constitutes "wearing green?"
Jared very carefully selected clothes that did not have a spot of green on them, then put a small green ponytail in his hair. He loved fooling people into pinching him, then revealing his bit 'o green and pinching them back. I'm afraid it's his Grandpa Guisinger's genes coming through.
We also had a raging debate over the definition of the word "wear." Does the green actually have to be part of your clothing? Is it enough to just be touching something green? Does it have to be showing, or does green on your underwear count? How 'bout if you have a piece of lettuce stuck to the bottom of your shirt? (that was Emma's idea)
Sigh. I'm just glad this only comes once a year. And people wonder why I'm not big into holidays. :-)
Monday was also the 1 year anniversary of the great adventure known as "Russell Family Home Ownership." Yes, we've been in our house exactly one year. Woo Hoo! One year of paying interest on a loan with little else to show for it (except a great landscaping job done by Nathan! Good job, honey!)
We have a tradition, born primarily out of necessity, of eating pizza on the first night in a new house. So, to celebrate our 1 year anniversary, I picked up pizza from the new Modern Pie joint on the island. Pretty tasty! We got the Margherita (raw tomato sauce, fontina, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil) and the Funghi (Braised Seasonal Mushrooms, Laura Chenel Goat Cheese, Torn Arugula). Sure beats greasy pepperoni. Just don't ask how much it cost. Ouch.
2 comments:
Do you have grass in the front yard too?? That pizza sounds pretty good about now...left over Corn Beef and Cabbage tonight for me!
The yard looks great, Nathan! I am so jealous -- here, the deer devour everything, and I mean *everything*! Ian did research and chose only deer-proof plants for the yard, and the deer promptly stripped every plant bare.
As for green eggs...eww.... :-P
Post a Comment