The boys were at Camp Seymour today, so the girls and I ran errands in Silverdale. We ended up at the mall Food Court for lunch. While we were sitting there, Adana suddenly screamed, "AGATR!" (alligator!)
She was quite excited and absolutely convinced that there was an alligator nearby. I chuckled, but went on with lunch.
A few minutes later, "LOOK! AGATR!" She shouts "Look!" whenever she wants to get someone's attention. I think it's because we're constantly saying things like "Look! A birdy" or "Look! Airplane!" It always cracks me up when kids start talking babyish to adults, the same way we talk to them.
She was now standing up on her chair, wide-eyed and anxious to find the wild alligator across the room. I could faintly hear the low rumbling of a truck engine outside, so I think that's what she was hearing.
This went on through the whole lunch. "LOOK! MOM! AGATR!! SWIMMING! AGATR WATER!!"
When we got up to leave, she looked everywhere for the growling alligator and was very disappointed when we never found it.
It wasn't until hours later that I finally figured out what the heck she thought she was hearing. In December, we went to Southcenter Mall, where they have a Rain Forest Cafe. Outside the restaurant, in the middle of the mall, is a huge mechanical alligator in a pool of water. It would slowly open it's mouth, growl a bit, then close it and duck back down into the water. We stood and watched it for a few minutes, tried to throw some coins into it's mouth, then we moved on into the mall. The growl of that fake alligator sounded very similar to the rumbling truck outside. So now, Adana is convinced that there are alligators living in shopping malls.
Maybe I should encourage this idea. It might make her afraid of malls and save us some money when she's a teenager.
She was quite excited and absolutely convinced that there was an alligator nearby. I chuckled, but went on with lunch.
A few minutes later, "LOOK! AGATR!" She shouts "Look!" whenever she wants to get someone's attention. I think it's because we're constantly saying things like "Look! A birdy" or "Look! Airplane!" It always cracks me up when kids start talking babyish to adults, the same way we talk to them.
She was now standing up on her chair, wide-eyed and anxious to find the wild alligator across the room. I could faintly hear the low rumbling of a truck engine outside, so I think that's what she was hearing.
This went on through the whole lunch. "LOOK! MOM! AGATR!! SWIMMING! AGATR WATER!!"
When we got up to leave, she looked everywhere for the growling alligator and was very disappointed when we never found it.
It wasn't until hours later that I finally figured out what the heck she thought she was hearing. In December, we went to Southcenter Mall, where they have a Rain Forest Cafe. Outside the restaurant, in the middle of the mall, is a huge mechanical alligator in a pool of water. It would slowly open it's mouth, growl a bit, then close it and duck back down into the water. We stood and watched it for a few minutes, tried to throw some coins into it's mouth, then we moved on into the mall. The growl of that fake alligator sounded very similar to the rumbling truck outside. So now, Adana is convinced that there are alligators living in shopping malls.
Maybe I should encourage this idea. It might make her afraid of malls and save us some money when she's a teenager.
No comments:
Post a Comment