Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Week in the Life . . .

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 7, 2010
(The last day. Hallelujah!!)

12:00 a.m. - Sleep
1:00 a.m. - Sleep
2:00 a.m. - Sleep
3:00 a.m. - Sleep
4:00 a.m. - Sleep
5:00 a.m. - Sleep
6:00 a.m. - Sleep
7:00 a.m. - Lay around in bed, amazed that none of the kids are awake yet. Pretty soon, though, the girls come sneaking into my room.
8:00 a.m. - I wake the boys up so they can get ready for church. Make breakfast for Adana. She throws a royal fit when I serve her toast on a green plate and give Emma the orange plate.
9:00 a.m. - Collect plenty of snacks, books & toys, then head off to Stake Conference in Silverdale. (For anyone who is wondering what the heck "Stake Conference" means, it's just a larger gathering of a number of our local congregations. It usually happens about twice a year.)
10:00 a.m. - Stake Conference. We got a new Stake Presidency.
11:00 a.m. - Stake Conference. Adana is doing so well - playing quietly at her seat. She earns a Tootsie Roll pop.
12:00 p.m. - Home for lunch.
1:00 p.m. - Nap time. This is hands down, without a doubt, my favorite two hours of the entire week. All four kids have naps/quiet time on Sunday afternoon, and so do I.
2:00 p.m. - Nap time. I get THREE calls which keep waking me up. Grrr . . .
3:00 p.m. - Check email/read blogs.
4:00 p.m. - The kids watch a Sunday movie. They chose a Tom Sawyer cartoon. I should be working on my homeschool schedule for next week, but I get sucked into watching the movie.
5:00 p.m. - Finish watching the movie, then help the kids make dinner. Micah makes waffles and Emma cooks up the turkey bacon. Adana "helps" them. Jared starts packing for his Scout outing next weekend. He takes after his mom - we both tend to plan waaaaay in advance for anything in order to avoid any last minute stresses.
6:00 p.m. - Breakfast For Dinner. YUM! It would probably be more accurately described as Dessert For Dinner, since the kids smother their waffles with syrup, homemade jam and chocolate sauce. My topping of choice: Adam's peanut butter with a drizzle of Karo corn syrup. I've eaten them this way since I was a kid and just can't stomach them any other way.
7:00 p.m. - The kids play Monster Hide-n-Go Seek. It's a game that they invented with their dad. (I hate it, but I'm always out-voted). They turn off ALL the lights in the house, and one of them (IT) goes and hides while the others count to 30. Then they go in search of the hiding IT, who usually sneaks around in the dark and moves from place to place to really throw them off. When they do finally come upon IT, he/she YELLS and ROARS and chases the shrieking kids through the house and back to Base, where they all collapse in a laughing heap and share stories of "Were you hiding in the bathtub that one time . . ." or "You walked right past me when I was in the closet . . ." And then it starts all over again. I spend the whole time calculating how quickly I can get them to the hospital when they fall down the stairs and break an arm. The biggest fan of this game is Adana. She BEGS to play it. Not surprising, considering her current favorite movie is Monster House. She has NO fear, especially of the dark.
8:00 p.m. - We do a quick Service Clean-up of the house (we all work together to clean-up everyone's messes, including each other's bedrooms). Then the older 3 read in bed while Adana watches Caillou and I finish up the homeschool schedule.
9:00 p.m. - Nathan gets home and we get a rare chance to chat.
10:00 p.m. - Off to bed. I read a bit.
11:00 p.m. - Sleep.

THE END
Thanks for all your encouraging comments. This has been a much tougher project than I had anticipated and I'm glad it's over. My next few posts will probably be mostly pictures; I'm tired of typing.

6 comments:

Tara Priddis said...

(Priddis) Thanks for the peek into your week.....

Kyla said...

Great week! I reall enjoyed reading about your days. If i didt that my posts would probably be 5 sentences long. And hey, Maggies favorite movie is Monster house too! i cant get her to stop watching it. Ill make sure and bring it to St George.

Tara said...

I've loved your week in review! I can't believe how busy you are! That's crazy! Although, I guess if I were to write down my day it would probably consist of a lot of "wiping up pee from around the toilet". Grrr.... 3 yr old little boys! ha ha!

Michelle said...

Thanks for the week. I marvel at what a calm mother you sound like! Your children get such wonderful attention. Be PROUD! :) I personally loved the play-by-play, but will also look forward to pics to keep me updated with your family!

Ashley said...

I like your service clean-up with the kids helping to clean the others' messes up. Hmmm, I'll have to think of how I can pitch this idea. Honestly, that's one of the shrieks heard regularly around our house: "Awww!! But I didn't make that mess!!!"

Kumahito said...

Why don't you turn the phone off? My phone is off about half the time! If it's something important, they'll leave a message.