Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Family Night at Fay Bainbridge

After a near-perfect*, beautiful, sunny, warm spring day, we met up with some friends at a local beach for a potluck dinner. Afterwards, the kids worked hard to build a great beach fort.

You know how the scriptures say "There must needs be opposition in all things." Days like this are SO MUCH more appreciated than they would be in other climates, where they are more commonplace.

You know my mantra: There's nothing better than a sunny day in Seattle.

Adana was determined to go swimming. She got as far as sticking her toe in the water, then decided that it was too cold.

The early stages of the fort.

The adults chatted while the kids slaved away.

Two of my BUFF kids.




The finished product. They were so proud!

* I say the day was "near-perfect" because of a little incident which happened earlier in the day. Warning: those who are faint of heart may not want to read on. . . So, since it was such a fabulous day, I decided to take the kids to a park. No sooner had we arrived, than Adana declares, "I have to go pee." Grrr. . . I'd never been to this particular park and, looking around, I couldn't see any bathrooms. So I took her over to a secluded grove of trees to, um, water the grass. As I was walking over, my phone rings. So I'm squatting in the trees, talking on my cell phone with one hand and trying to balance Adana with her naked butt hanging down in the other hand. Then suddenly she announces, "Actually, it's poop." And out plops a big 'ol pile, right between my feet. Now I'm stuck with a mess - both hands occupied - in the middle of nowhere. I'm laughing so hard I can barely stay standing; I quickly say, "I'll call you back" and drop my phone in the dirt; and I yell for my friend at the playground, "BRING ME SOME WIPES!" She comes running over and, being the helpful friend that she is, immediately starts laughing and snapping pictures with her phone. So yes, it was a "near-perfect" day.

6 comments:

The Blodgetts said...

The fort is sooo awesome! You have to tell your kids that I think they are brilliant, even though they might not remember who I am at all. I will show all my kids how cool that fort turned out. What a wonderful day. We are finally getting warm weather in UT too. After this winter I can REALLY appreciate it.

David and Jenny said...

What a good idea...it turned out really cool!!

Sarah Hall said...

awesome fort! okay...that storie of Adana is too funny...I have found myself in similar situations to many times.

Jenny said...

You took some great pictures! I agree that we appreciate the sunny days more here since we don't have them every day. I really do love living in the NW.

You have a gift for being able to tell a story and write a story equally well. I'm still laughing!

Anonymous said...

Why, why couldn't it be me that was on the phone when Adana had to go? I could have enjoyed the park right along with you. Tell me...did you yell,"sh... Adana." Now that would have made me laugh even harder! :)
I love being the mom, we get all of the fun.

Kate said...

The fort is too cool! I will look for it tomorrow. Come meet us for lunch!